Monday, May 16, 2011

Progress


I find that the more I know how to do, the more I want to do.

This shot is the first of the series.  The idea was to mock up a Calvin Klein campaign, making $200 look like $30,000.  Or how ever much is spent on a Calvin Klein campaign.  In the imagining of this project, I was thinking that Calvin Klein was desperately tired of the black and white, model in a pair of briefs against a gray background and begged me (in my fantasy there are tears) to come up with something fresh.

It was cold at the lake.  And the t-shirts would not cooperate and kept falling over the waistbands.  This is an image that would definitely have to rely on text.  Still, the color of the waistbands pop and draw the focus in the image.

The trick was getting a decent shot of the two models in the same frame.  Ultimately this shot is pieced together from four different frames:  the base, an addition on the left side of the frame, a change in the blond model's head position, and a recreation of the blue waistband.

Then there are a few other editing tricks that I'll leave to you to find.  I can't give everything away.

A couple of years ago, when I did a shoot at the same location, I wouldn't have been able to do any of the things that I did in this shot.  I had no clue and could barely press the button on the camera.  Now, I know what I need, what I can afford, and where I can compensate with computer skills.

No comments: