Sunday, May 8, 2011

Professionalism


How many models does it take to have a successful photo shoot?  Three.  That's why you book five and thank God when two show up.

For the last few months all of my professional development has been focused on the digital side -- especially editing.  That means things like the actual taking of pictures -- not to mention writing -- have all fallen by the wayside.  As a result, a few weeks ago I felt like my portfolio was woefully outdated and in need of fresh material.  Plus, in January I'd purchased a new strobe and hadn't even used it.

So, I trotted over to Model Mayhem and posted a notice.  Developing a photo portfolio on a budget is a challenge.  Trying to make two hundred dollars look like a thirty thousand dollar campaign isn't easy, and I won't pretend that I come even close.  That said, for this project I felt like I needed to devote the budget to the talent and not the equipment.

I received about a dozen responses, but nothing that I was looking for.  Great guys, I'm sure, but not underwear model material.  Why male underwear models?  Inexpensive wardrobe, no hair or make-up.  So I sent out personal invitations.  I was surprised at the number of models who actually responded and were interested.  That was a good sign.

But, male models tend to be less reliable.  I wanted three models.  In my experience when booking multiple models, about half show up.  It doesn't seem to matter whether there is pay involved or not.  Last year I did a shoot and I wanted six models.  I booked fifteen.  Five showed up on time and the sixth arrived an hour late.  Since I was paying these guys with copies of the photos, I incorporated the sixth into the mix.  I was happy with the shoot.

This time around I was paying.  Not a lot, but I was organized and knew that I could knock the photos out quickly.  I figured my budget could handle five models if all showed up, but planned on three.

I got two on time.  And fortunately they were the two with the strongest portfolios.  We knocked the shots out and I'm very pleased with their work.

Now to be fair, the third did show up.  An hour late.  Since all of the group shots were done, I sent him away. Number four sent me an e-mail at midnight the night before the shoot saying he didn't realize how far he'd have to travel and wouldn't make it.

Number five?  Nothing.

So, in the grand scheme of things, it actually worked out pretty well.  Although I got fewer than half, at least four responded in some way.  Usually half just disappear.  Progress.

Fortunately it seems that professionalism and talent go hand in hand.

No comments: