Friday, May 27, 2011

Analytics

So I am sending out resumes like a mad man.

A week ago it was announced that my company will be relocating the corporate headquarters to California.  They offered to take me along, but I'm a Midwestern boy at heart.  I'm just not done in Chicago.

So I'm sending out resumes.

I have always enjoyed looking for a new job.  I love getting that first phone call.  It's validation.  I love hearing about how someone sees my skills benefiting their organizations.  Because I have never been about building a career and more about collecting experiences, I have a very interesting resume.  There aren't many like it.  In essence, I've done everything.

But with a job search there is also an element of anticipation that can be exhausting.  With the ability to do a lot of different things comes the blessing/curse that my resume almost fits a lot of jobs, but doesn't exactly fit many.  It takes a smart, creative hiring manager to look at my resume and see the benefits.  Sadly, there aren't a lot of smart hiring managers out there.  That's OK.  I've worked for not-smart managers before.  It's not fun.

Still, the anticipation can be brutal.  But now, at least there is something of a gauge that gives me an indication of how my resumes might be received.  Something more than the ringing of the phone.

Several weeks ago I launched my new website, with a brand new URL.  The only way someone is going to find it is if I've told them about it, or if they do a search for my entire name.  When I launched it, I also attached some analytics tags to it.  Now I can see how much activity my site is receiving and where it's coming from.  Watching the increase in activity is telling me that my resume is being actively reviewed.  And the amount of time spent on the site gives me an indication as to how much interest a single visitor might have.

But I already knew that my resume was being positively received.  In a week, I received five calls.  That feels really good.  It means that I have the luxury to be selective.  I like that.  But I also like knowing that even if someone isn't calling, they were interested enough to take a look at the website.  Even more excited if they've stopped by the blog!

If you're a potential employer reading this:  Pick up the phone!  I'd love to talk to you.

No comments: