Thursday, September 11, 2008

Happy Anniversary to Me!

A year ago I sat down with three books and began to try to figure out how to put together a photography business. I had spent the previous month wrestling with the Adobe Creative Suite, teaching myself how to build a website.

And as I was putting this business together on a very limited budget, I was trying to come up with ways to promote Archetype Images that were creative, dynamic, and free.

And one year and one day ago the Archetype Images Blog was born.

This past year has been more successful than I could have imagined. Not only has the quality of work improved immeasurably -- I'd be horrified to show the first headshots I took -- but I feel like I've grown as an artist in many unexpected ways.

If you've been following this blog, you may have noticed that I tend to use the plural pronoun in describing the Archetype events. That's not because there's an enormous Archetype Images staff. Right now, it's just me. But I purposely use the pronoun because I feel like I'm building a community. When I get behind a camera and start taking pictures of people, I feel a bond. I develop a genuine interest in the people I shoot and that's why I periodically send out update requests. I really do want to keep in touch and stay abreast of how careers progress.

And as I expand into the wedding industry, I don't just want to be the "wedding photographer," but I want to be part of the big events in my clients' lives. On one level it's about creating unique, artistic expressions, and on another it's about capturing the emotion of the moment.

I've worked with some amazing people in the past year, and I'm expecting to do some incredible, amazing work in the coming year. Happy Anniversary to me, and to all Archetype Alums.

No comments: